Submit Your CDO Application Today!
IMPORTANT: This notification applies only to organizations that:
- Wish to apply to the Certified Application Counselor Designated Organization (CDO) program operating in a Federally-facilitated Marketplace (FFM) state for Plan Year 2024, and
- Do not currently have an active CMS-CDO agreement with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
Organizations with an active CMS-CDO agreement should disregard this message. If you are unsure if your organization has an active CMS-CDO agreement with CMS, please contact us at [email protected].
Any organization operating in an FFM state newly seeking to provide Certified Application Counselor (CAC) enrollment assistance to consumers for Plan Year 2024 must apply to become a CDO and enter into an agreement with CMS.
CMS invites new applicant organizations who want to become a CDO for Plan Year 2024 to apply during CMS’s Open Season August 1-December 15, 2023.
Only organizations who complete the two steps below during the application window and receive a CDO ID from CMS can certify staff or volunteers as CACs in an FFM state to provide enrollment assistance services.
To apply to become a CDO:
- Access and complete the CDO application at https://mats.secure.force.com/CDOApplication/. CMS will review your application and send a determination email with your application status. Please allow up to 10 business days for this review.
- If CMS approves your application, you must access the CDO Organizational Maintenance Web Form (link provided in approval email) and submit a signed CMS-CDO agreement. CMS will then review your signed agreement and send a determination email. If CMS approves your agreement, you will receive a Welcome Packet email with a unique CDO ID. Please allow up to 5 business days for this review.
CDOs are a vital component of the assister community. In the FFM, CDOs oversee CACs, who are annually trained and able to help consumers seeking health coverage options through the Marketplace. For an overview of the CDO Program and resources that walk users through the CDO application, please visit:
- CDO Program Information – information about who can become a CDO and CDO role responsibilities.
- CDO Application Information – information about who should apply and how to apply during CMS’s Open Season.
- Submit a CDO Application – link to CDO application web form.
- CDO Application Demonstration Video – video demonstration of CDO application completion.
- CDO Application FAQs – frequently asked questions (FAQs) about application submission, post-application submission, and troubleshooting guidance.
- CDO Application User Guide – systematic, detailed guide to completing your organization’s CDO application.
For questions or updates, you can email [email protected]. Please include your organization’s name and address in the body of your email.
Marketplace Assister Support Team
Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services