August 27|1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EDT
Collaborative Screening: Guidance for Person-Centered Inquiry (Empathic Inquiry) Session 2
Collaborative Screening is a person-centered approach to gathering information and providing referrals in health and social service settings that elevates the perspective, expertise, and autonomy of the individual being served, rather than the needs and requirements of the institution.
There are many good reasons to ask about individual and family circumstances in health care settings. Yet for every reason to ask, people may have just as many legitimate reasons to hesitate in sharing personal information.
Despite the dynamics of power and distrust that can limit engagement in health and social service settings, there are very concrete attitudes and behaviors that professionals and organizations can adopt to demonstrate respect, build trust and promote engagement with the people they serve.
Collaborative screening provides design principles and behavioral guidance to individuals and organizations for creating person-centered screening and referral processes, with the goals of creating relational safety, partnership, and better information exchange. Collaborative Screening draws on guidance from people with lived experience, professional experts, and other person-centered methods, including Motivational Interviewing, Trauma-Informed Care, Empathic Inquiry, Cultural Humility, and the principles of health equity.
The collaborative screening training uses popular education to create a highly interactive and participant-driven approach to learning and skill-building.
By the end of this training, participants will:
- Consider the incentives and impacts of conducting social needs, demographic, health and behavior screenings for both individuals and organizations
- Discuss core design principles and skills for person-centered screening and referral
- Explore person-centered workflow and organizational design
- Practice person-centered screening and referral
- Develop next steps in creating a more person-centered approach at your health center